Finally, you are in Bali. Now what? You explore the island! You see the beaches like Kuta, Denpasar, Legian, interact with the Bali people. But your journey is not as easy as walk out of your hotel and start wandering aimlessly. Traveling in Bali is a dream for many, but you need a good plan to be able to make the most of your vacation, especially if you’ve never been to Bali before. And if you’re not part of any tour group, renting cars in Bali might be your best bet to enjoy the special holiday.
And why is that?
Since public transportation is virtually non-existent in Bali, your options to go places and discover new things are limited to taxi, car or motorbike.
Let’s look at the options and decide.
Traveling in Bali With a Tour vs Going Solo
The advantage of being part of one of the tours is that everything is well planned. You don’t have to worry about choosing hotels, deciding where to stay and where to go, searching for the best eating and shopping places, and everything else. After arriving at the Ngurah Rai airport, you just hop in one of the buses and enjoy the experience. This option is easier. Plus, you have the guide to provide information to enhance the experience.
But, where’s the fun in that? If you’re in an adventurous mood, it’s better to travel by yourself. You can let the spur of the moment guide you. Let the unexpected surprised you and have the time of your life – multiplied.
The downside of going solo is that you have to know what you are doing. You have to know where and how to go to the best places. Not to mention handling the traffic, adapting to the customs, and all of the unexpected. If you are not prepared, traveling in Bali would not be as good as you imagine.
Can you have the freedom of going solo while enjoying all the advantages of being on a tour? Yes, you can, by renting cars in Bali. To be exact, book and rent a perfect car with a great driver.
Why Traveling in Bali by Renting Cars in Bali?
Going on the motorbike ride might be the cheapest option, but it’s out of the question for those who are traveling in Bali with the family. You need a vehicle that is comfortable to hold multi passengers. That leaves you with either to find a taxi or find a Bali car rent.
While taxis are nice, it can be very expensive if your destination is far. By using Uber-like online taxis such as Go-Jek and Grab, you might pay fewer fees than regular taxis, but that option is also costly if you plan to visit many places.
The most reasonable option would be to look for a Bali car rental and hire a driver. The average price given by most Bali car rent company is cheap. But why not simply renting cars in Bali and drive it yourself?
The Disadvantages of Renting Cars in Bali without a Driver
If you decide to book a car and drive it yourself, there are several things to consider.
- If Indonesia is not your home country, an international driver’s license is needed in Bali. You don’t want to go into trouble with the local police.
- In Bali – as everywhere else in Indonesia, you drive on the left side of the road and the driver’s seat is on the right side of the car. You might need to adjust your driving. You also have to consider whether to rent a car with manual or automatic transmission.
- You might not familiar with the area, especially for the first-timers. You don’t want to end up lost and stranded somewhere you don’t know.
- The traffic is chaotic and confusing. Most signs are not clear or simply non-existent, there are many one-way roads, some wide roads suddenly squeezed into a narrow lane, there are food carts and street vendors everywhere making the narrow lane even narrower, and big-bad potholes are common. Not to mention that some roads are often closed for ceremonial processions.
- And to add icing to the cake, motorists in Bali, especially in crowded places like Denpasar, have their own rule, which is virtually no rule whatsoever. If you get into an accident and the rental car is not insured, you have to pay for the damage.
All of these can add to unnecessary stress that will ruin your time traveling in Bali. On the other hand, by paying just a tiny bit more on the prices of booking an additional experienced local driver, you can eliminate all the disadvantages of having to drive the car yourself. You can forget everything on the list above and get a lot more on the deals.
The Advantages of Renting Cars in Bali with Drivers
First and foremost, you don’t have to worry about potholes, traffic, nor hellish motorists. If you rent a car in Bali and also hire the driver, you and your family can enjoy your traveling in Bali and let him worry about everything else.
And here are the additional perks of finding a Bali car rental with driver and let him do the Bali drive and organize your schedule.
- You can use an online service to book the car. You will get a driver that will also act as the guide without any extra fee. You will enjoy your trip more.
- The driver will be a Balinese who knows his way around the island. He can also suggest hidden interesting places and unique food. And if you still search for a place to stay, he can recommend you a good accommodation that matches your preferences and your budget.
- The driver is speaking both English and Bahasa Indonesia, so he can help you get the best offers at the market, negotiate cheap and low prices, and communicate with people on the island.
- He will pick you up and drop you to any interesting locations in Bali. He can even pick you up at the airport if you want to. When you book your car, you can arrange the pick-up point and he will find and welcome you.
- All the drivers from local car rental are punctual. So you don’t have to worry about your schedule and be sure to make the most of your trip.
- The drivers are polite and will do their best to fulfill your needs. They are also dressed in traditional Balinese clothing to include the cultural vibe. They are the best ones that you can find.
- Most of the vehicles rented from local car rental will be in good condition and all are covered by insurance. But always check the car condition beforehand. There are some shady car rentals services that will give you a car in bad condition, and some even will charge you for pre-existing damages.
Do your own homework, compare the various car rental companies, ask around for recommendations. Find the ones that have been in business for years. You will get the best deals on car rental. You can book the available car for rent even days before you set foot in Bali.
Compare the Range of Cars and Services
If you are thinking about renting cars in Bali, find the ones that fit your needs and budgets. Here are some of the most common options:
- Toyota Avanza – perfect for a group of 4+ with medium size luggage who’s on a budget.
- Toyota Inova – perfect for a family who’s looking for comfort during their vacation.
- Toyota Hiace Minibus – perfect for a group of 7-15 people who are looking for a high-class experience.
- Limousine Service – perfect for those who are looking for a luxurious trip.
- Bali Airport Transfers – perfect for those who simply want a hassle-free transport from the airport to the hotel or vice versa.
- Safari Bali Tour – perfect for adventurous people who want to explore the road less traveled in Bali, away from the hustle and bustle of Denpasar and other common destinations.
Now imagine yourself traveling in Bali on a car trip. You can get the best of both worlds that most tourists don’t: the hassle-free vacation of a tour and the freedom of doing solo vacation. You can do that by renting cars in Bali with drivers using local services.